Neuschwanstein Castle Tour

4:00 PM

On one of our last days in Munich, my uncle surprised me with a bike tour of Neuschwanstein Castle. I had wanted to go to the castle but didn’t think it would be possible considering the entirety of the trip was planned to be car-free, relying solely on public transportation, bikes, and our own two feet so I pushed it out of mind. I was told to wear comfortable clothing and plan for a full day of activity. Nothing more. Having no idea what I was in for, we walked into a little shop just down the road from our hotel. Mike’s Bikes. I have mentioned Mike’s Bikes in a previous post, how much I loved the company and how kind the workers were. The same goes for this tour of the castle.

We checked in at the office in Munich, standing outside in the cold, drizzly rain with a crowd of other Americans which was strangely comforting. After a week of rarely hearing native English speakers, it was nice to not only be able to speak naturally (without having to use simpler language to non-native speakers to understand) but also to hear where they are from and actually be able to recognize the name (Pittsburg. New Jersey. Washington.).

We then boarded a nice bus. And when I say nice, I mean very nice. We started the one hour drive on the autobahn (famous for the general lack of a speed limit - posted speed limit is generally 130 km/h or 81 mph but nonexistent in less populated areas, but it didn’t seem to be that fast on that particular morning because of the rain) with a video presentation from our tour guide, Brad. Brad went to magic school and showed us some amazing card tricks during our meal. He was very personable, energetic, informed, and entertaining. Overall, I think Brad made the experience of the tour a fun one.


Once we arrived at the site of the castles, we were made very clearly aware of our options: tour one castle with the group, tour one castle on your own, or tour both castles on your own, meeting at up at a certain time. We chose to do the single castle tour with the group.


After purchasing rain ponchos, something I, at first, refused to do but quickly realized was necessary, we chose our bikes and then we were off. The rain was cold and made the gravel paths slick, but it certainly did not ruin any fun. It made the castle look gorgeous in an eerie, mysterious sort of way, peeking out from the fog-wrapped mountains. We went to a nearby lake of glacier runoff and were given options. I chose to stick my feet in but a few swam and even drank the water.


Later the rain slowed to a stop and we began our uphill hike to the castle. It was steep and I, already exhausted from my first bike ride in far too long, was struggling. The family we were with and my uncle were far ahead of me and I was hanging back, catching my breath, shins and calves burning. I pretended to be pausing to take in the scenery and then actually did look around a bit and was amazed by the endless beauty of it all. So I guess my unhealthy, out-of-shape struggles paid off in the end. Or at least that’s what I’ll tell myself.


Once we I finally reached the top, we stopped at the gift shop and began our tour of Neuschwanstein Castle. The rules of the castle were strict. Backpacks must be worn on your front so as to not block or disrupt others (or as the security personnel responded without missing a beat when we asked why they can’t be worn on our backs “because it looks funny”). No cameras whatsoever (trust me, we tried). Strict set timings and movements from room to room. The castle was incredible, especially considering it was the home of the son, his parents living in a separate castle across the forested mountains.


The entire day was absolutely wonderful. The highlights? All of it. Biking through the rain around the lake. Meeting and talking with people who are from the States. Getting restaurant suggestions for the city I was moving to from a family who visits often. Watching the magic tricks at lunch. The tour guides. The castle. The people. The biking. The hiking. The country. I would do it all again in a heartbeat. Highly recommended experience.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Total Pageviews

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *